CCN reached out to the Bitcoin Community via various sources, including Reddit, BitcoinTalk, and our own contacts, in order to gauge the sentiment of the Bitcoin Community in survey form. Included are our answers.
81.6% believe the block size limit should be increased, assuming nobody believes it should be decreased.
As far as the amount of influence Bitcoin developers have over the Bitcoin software, many showed signs of uneasiness.
More than 50% claim the debate and divisiveness over Bitcoin-XT has damaged their trust in Bitcoin and/or the Bitcoin Community.
- “Bitcoin needs bigger blocks. It’s an anti-fragile system and will not break because of a code change, but it may wither and die if it’s not allowed to grow.”
- “Scalability is necessary for Bitcoin to grow in relevance. Decentralization must remain a hallmark of the ecosystem.”
- “We need a fee based system not a free system”
- “Open source doesn’t mean clusterfuck. I think the xt proposal at least offers some hope adopting a more Linux style way of doing things. Because that works.”
- “I wish xt was just a blocksize increase. I have been hearing bad things about other things such as ip tracking being included that I’m not happy to hear about.”
- “I’ve lost a lot of money over the way the devs have handled this.”
- “BitcoinXT is an attack on the existing protocol. Forking without consensus is reckless and irresponsible. The block size limit should be raised by consensus.”
- “Increase Block Sizes, no blacklists”
- “MikeCoinXT is the problem, not the blocksize increase.”
- “Trust damaged not for Bitcoin, just the Bitcoin community”
- “Big banks or govts will never adopt bitcoin cause of stuff like this. They don’t want 8 dudes in the control of the whole currency.”
- “Want [block size] increase, don’t think XT is the correct version to do it.”
- “Bitcoin XT is more than bigger blocks. If Hearn cares about the scalability like he claims and yells about constantly, he shouldn’t be sneaking in other changes to core as well like some kind of trojan horse.”
- “Raise the block size without all the added bloat of XT. Retain Bitcoin Core.”
- “Kids will be kids. Bitcoin will still prevail.”
- “Blockstream needs to be eliminated.”
Featured image from Shutterstock.