Step 1: Get Her Attention
Chances are if you’ve been together long, your girlfriend has heard you ramble about cryptocurrency. She’s probably even learned to tune you out at the first mention of blockchain. To stop her from zoning out this time, tell her directly – this is important to you.
Step 2: Why?
Next, tell her why you want her to take an interest in crypto.
It could be for any number of reasons, but here are a few good ones:
- Blockchain is a big part of your life, and you want to be able to talk about it with her occasionally.
- You believe blockchain is the revolution, and she should have a voice in it.
- You think investing in cryptocurrencies now (at the start of another bull run) is an excellent opportunity for her to increase her wealth.
- Financial stability begets things she might want for your conjoined future.
- Women in blockchain make up for as little as 6% of the community. Lack of women in the space slows the adoption rate, and you want this thing to go to the moon.
Step 3: Forget the Money!
This might sound a little kooky, but like it or not, many women just aren’t taught about money or investing in their formative years. So investing might not interest your girlfriend as much as some other exciting things about blockchain technology.
Forget ROI, and instead focus on some of the social and political issues that blockchain aims to take-on.
- What decentralization means for the future of democracy
- Increased honesty and transparency because of open distributed ledger technology
- A means of side-stepping corruption in international aid campaigns, and even in government
- Exponential progress toward a sharing economy
Step 4: Make it About Her
Men don’t all like the same things, and women don’t either. So to succeed at this mission, you’ll have to identify some of your girlfriend’s primary interests. Tell her about how blockchain could impact them and her life by extension.
- If she’s into fashion, tell her about blockchains partnering with luxury brands to enable buyers to verify items’ authenticity.
- Movies and/or television shows? Talk about the entertainment industry embracing cryptocurrencies with mentions in shows ranging from Billions and Silicon Valley to female-audience-centric Grey’s Anatomy and The Bold Type.
- Social media? Blockchain is revolutionizing that too. Many new social media platforms run on blockchain, and they don’t collect and sell your data!
Ledger Nano S featured in the last episode of @SHO_Billions (Billions S03E07) "one million dollars straight in crypto, in cold storage". It was a great suprise for us! Getting more and more mainstream. pic.twitter.com/KYrprYAMSJ
— Ledger (@Ledger) May 7, 2018
No matter what your girlfriend is into, there’s a Dapp for that. If you want to get your girlfriend interested in cryptocurrency, just let her know that it’s important to you and explain why it should matter to her too.
Remember to let us know how it worked out in the comments below!