- After a confusing delay, Nancy Pelosi is preparing to send articles of impeachment to the Senate for a trial.
- As the Speaker of a Democrat-controlled House, she’s led the opposition to President Donald Trump in Washington.
- But though history has cast her in the role of foil to Trump, the two have a lot more in common than either would care to admit.
Rep. Nancy Pelosi is moving the impeachment process forward again. She alerted the House to get ready to send impeachment articles to the Senate next week.
Pelosi and Trump appear to be polar opposites, but appearances can be deceiving. Here are five ways the two Washington powerhouses are exactly like each other:
1. Nancy Pelosi got her impeachment strategy from cable news. Who does that sound like?
According to a recent Time profile, a Nancy Pelosi aide says she got the idea for withholding the articles of impeachment from watching cable news:
Pelosi, according to an aide, had been mulling the tactic since she heard former Nixon White House counsel John Dean float the idea on CNN on Dec. 5.
The aide said Pelosi thought impeachment would be more damaging to Trump if he was never vindicated by an acquittal. Amazingly, Pelosi is reported to have said:
He will be impeached forever. Forever. No matter what the Senate does.
This is eerily reminiscent of the Donald Trump-Fox and Friends feedback loop. And it’s downright Trumpian in its bizarre unorthodoxy.
2. Both are narcissists. Nancy Pelosi said the Constitution considers her equal to Trump.
Donald Trump’s critics frequently blast the president for his world-class narcissism. They can’t stand his constant bragging and delusions of grandeur.
But Nancy Pelosi may have the president matched for grandiose delusions. She even bragged last year that the Constitution considers her equal to Trump.
Of course, that’s not really true. As Speaker of the House, she’s only the leader of one half of one branch of government for two years unless her party keeps a majority. And ultimately, she’s one of 435 representatives. There’s only one president.
3. Boomers, Wall Street, and Real Estate love Nancy Pelosi as much as Trump.
Like Pelosi? Ok, boomer. Like Trump? Ok, boomer.
Nancy Pelosi’s top contributing sector is “Retired. So is Donald Trump’s. “Securities and Investment” is her number two industry. It’s also given Donald Trump nearly a million dollars for 2020. “Real Estate” is in both their top five.
4. Iran: Trump and Pelosi both flip-flopped on war powers since Obama years
Nancy Pelosi ripped Trump for the drone strike to Iran’s top general. She even called it “provocative” and “a dangerous escalation.” But she defended Obama’s use of drones for targeted killing without congressional approval, even when the targets were US citizens.
That makes Pelosi just like Trump.
He flip-flopped (the other way, of course) since Obama was POTUS. Back then, Trump said Obama needs congressional approval for military action. He also warned Obama would strike Iran for an election year boost. But now that he’s in charge, all bets are off.
5. One Percenters: There’s no way either one of them can relate to ordinary Americans
Just like Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi lives a life of opulent luxury. She enjoys a lot of those perks on the taxpayers’ dime. As if it’s not enough that she’s already personally wealthy beyond most Americans’ wildest dreams.
According to the Center for Responsive Politics’ Open Secrets, her net worth tops $100 million. That makes her the sixth-richest legislator in the House.
Last modified: September 23, 2020 1:28 PM